Sunday, August 14, 2011

What a great day to serve the Lord


A great choir performing in Pastor Jonahs church in the
middle of the slums.

What a great day to serve the Lord.  We had an amazing day with the Lord.  This morning I preached at Pastor Jonah’s church in the slums and God showed up.  So many wanted prayers for healing and God began to meet each of them.  I am amazed that a church of this size exists and is so beautiful right in the middle of the slums.  As I was sitting enjoying the choir I could smell the smells of the slum that was a subtle reminder of where I was.  The Slum is mostly Muslim and Pastor Jonah’s heart is to win them for Jesus.  He has found that the only way to reach them is through the school he is building.  As he educates the Muslims in a Christian school they will learn how to become born again and bring it to their homes.  And slowly this Pastor by the power of Jesus will transform this slum into a Christian environment by showing them hope and Gods love. 
Ice Cream!!!
After service I was taken to Jonah’s home for lunch, but on the way I had him stop and I bought ice-cream for everyone.  Wow were the kids excited.  I think even the adults were excited to have ice cream.  Jonah’s 50 kids and all the adults present were sure appreciative of the treat.  After some fellowship and eating of lunch I was taken to Pastor Richards’s church for the evening. 

When I arrived I knew God had a great plan ahead.  When I preached God totally changed everything. It was a small gathering but man did God show up. As I was finishing up it was dark and we lost the electricity, but I was not going to let that stop what God had planned.  I just kept preaching in the dark till candles arrived. Then it was time to pray. I had not seen anything like this in all of Uganda as of yet. We were all pushing into the Lord when a hush came over the alter.  After a period of time God gave me a word that he was going to heal many and heal an ankle.  I called the word out but no one came for an ankle and I thought maybe I had it wrong. So I began to pray for the line of people and God healed every one of them instantly with the exception of one.  I was amazed and what God was doing.  We had eyes healed, Head pain healed, Knees fixed, Stomachs healed and the list goes on.  The last person to arrive was women as she came up I asked her how can I pray for her. She said it was her ankle that needed healed.  After some teaching to her about being obedient to Gods calling I prayed for her and the pain left and she was able to dance with no pain. I am sorry that I do not have more pictures of this great event, but the electricity was out and it was very dark.  But God provided the light.

Pastor Jonahs biological son on the left Jeremiah and one of
his 55 adopted children enjoying ice cream.
Some of the dancers performing at pastor Richards church.
Notice the floor is dirt and the building is nothing more than
a barn. And this is a good church. At least the floor is not
cow dung like many that is used to keep the dust down.
We so serve an amazing God.  In the midst of his Glory though, I still could see the pain of so many for their lack of provision.  During the morning service I prayed with a single woman living on her own to find a job.  It is very hard for a woman to live on her own in this country.  As I prayed God prompted me to ask her about food. She would not really tell me the truth immediately. She just said she has to fast sometimes.  I came to find out that she had not eaten for a while.  So I gave the women some money to buy food.  She was so overwhelmed by how God would take care of her through a stranger. God is so good.  Well I must not retire as morning will soon come and I will be gone all day ministering to pastors and then preaching to pastors in the evening.  Then on Tuesday begins the crusade where I will be speaking both morning and evening. Then a repeat on Wednesday and then off to the airport I go.  I am uncertain if I will get a chance to post again before I leave. However when I return home I will put all the closing remarks together along with more pictures.  Thank you for all your prayers and support on this journey.  You have no idea how many you have helped because of your prayers and generosity.  Blessings to each of you and may the Power of God meet you today as you worship together our King.


Pastor Bret

1 comment:

Virgil and Joy said...

Thanks for posting this, Bret. It is wonderful to hear and see what God is doing through you and the wonderful men and women of God you are serving with! And ice cream! What a wonderful idea for a gift! Way to go!