Sunday, August 7, 2011

Widows Day and "Good by"

Greetings again from Uganda.  I think I am in love with this place very much. I especially love it here in Torroro. It is so green and fresh and tropical.  Today the rains came, they tell me it is the beginning of the rainy season.  I find it odd that they consider it cold right now. It is about 75 and everyone is wearing jackets.  The rain came very fast and flooded everything and then as fast as it came it was gone.
Speaking on the Radio the Word of God
I would like to share with you about the last two days.  Saturday we got up early at 4:40am and we drove to Malamba which is right on the boarder of Kenya.  Pastor Betty dropped Pastor Moses and myself off while she returned to Torroro to go to the radio station there.  I then in Malamba spoke on a Christian radio station for about 1 hour preaching the word of God over the air waves.  Please pray once again that many will receive the Word of God in their lives.  We then returned home for breakfast where the house girls had prepared under Pastor Betty’s direction.  Meals are hard here to prepare they cook everything outside on an open fire just like you would do camping.  Preparing a meal can take hours since they do not have the modern conveniences of ovens and microwaves.
Women working hard cleaning for Widows day
 the shack in back  to the right is the cook shack
Widows prasing God in the best clothing as we
Honor them as Gods great children.
After breakfast we went to the church for widows day.  By the time we had arrived  the widows were already coming and the church members were hard at work preparing food over the fires to feed the widows.  This is a great thing that Pastor Betty and Pastor Moses are doing.  Women are treated as very low in Uganda and widows have no value.  But here they are made to be valued. I had the opportunity to speak to the widows with an interpreter. It was hard to speak with an interpreter and felt as if I did not do well, but Gods word never returns void and it is not me who speaks but the spirit through me.  In spite of my lack, nine widows were born again.  Praise the Lord, hallelujah…… God is so good. I was deeply humbled in the fact that we were only able to afford to give the widows soap as a gift to take home and how grateful they were for it.  I know Say Yes is taking a team in September to Torroro and they will be again having a widows day maybe you would consider donating to their team to help them buy bigger gifts for these wonderful women of God such as rice, sugar, eggs or even milk.  The lord says we are to take care of the widows yet only this church is doing so maybe we need to remember the instructions of our Lord.  The widows only had about two days’ notice so there was only about one hundred present whereas normally they would have close to three hundred. But in this small group I found that almost all of them were raising kids as well.  Praise God for the Widows because if the man had lived and the women had died the kids would have been abandoned or abused from the husband’s new wife since all men quickly remarry. Please pray for this ministry and consider helping were the Lord leads you.
Nine widows confessing Jesus as there Lord. Welcome
to the Kingdom Might Women of God. Praise the Lord.
Today was a great and sad day for me.  It was great because of church.  We started service at 9am and it went till 2:30pm.  Wow can they celebrate and dance.  We should pay attention to these wonderful people of God as we could learn a lot about commitment to serving and worshiping. We danced for over 1 hour had the word and danced for another hour.  And yes I danced as David would of Danced.  I know understand what it means when the word say David danced like a wild man.  We started at 9am with intercessory prayer. A 19 year old high school student named Samuel led us.  I was utterly amazed at his commitment to lead the church in prayer. I told Samuel he needed to come home with me and teach us. After that we welcomed visitors.  One visitor a young lady came up and said she was muslin and wanted to give her life to the lord.  Amazing how when the Holy Spirit is moving you don’t even have to have an alter time they just come under the power of God.  We then Celebrated the Lord some more and then I preached for over 1 hour.  I was told I would make a good African pastor because I could speak a long time about our great King our King Jesus. 

The sad part of today was knowing I was leaving in the morning to continue my journey. I wish I had had more time.  As I write I am weeping because I must leave my friends Samuel, Richard, Topster, Lydia, George, Vincent, James and……….. To many to list and Pastors Moses and Betty. I am already planning my return as part of my heart is left here in Torroro for the wonderful beautiful people of God. Please pray for them it is so very hard here and yet no one complains instead they greet you with “Praise the Lord” and say you are “Welcome” (which means you are welcome here) I look forward to my return home though to see my family and share with you all to hopefully encourage you to come or at the very least help support the ministry here in Torroro.  Blessings on all of you and now I will sleep to prepare for the next day as it is now close to 1am. There is so much more to tell but for now Good Night and “Praise the Lord”.

3 comments:

Virgil and Joy said...

We are very proud of what you are doing, Bret. You heart is showing the people back here in America what really goes on there in Uganda. The burden of the Lord becomes yours when you expose yourself to the need. You will never be the same, Bret. Thank you for sharing a piece of Uganda with us. The Lord searches for a heart to match the cry...He just found another heart! And maybe because of you He's found many more.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog post. I am so excited at what God has done in the short time you have been with Pastor Moses and Betty in Tororo. It sounds like you have made life long friends. Looking forward to hearing about your time with Pastor Hudson!! I love you!

Unknown said...

So the previous post is from your wife...it didn't print my name for some reason. haha